Hollinger’s Island School officially opened September, 1956 but due to the non-completion of the school, classes were temporarily held at Theodore School. The students and faculty were moved to the new building on February 15, 1956.
There were approximately two hundred sixty students at Hollinger’s Island School during the first year with one teacher in seventh and eighth. The seventh and eighth grades were moved in 1969 and kindergarten was added in September, 1976.
In May 1997, construction was completed on a new school wing. The new wing provided classrooms for students who had previously occupied seven portable buildings. There are nine regular classrooms, one special education classroom, a reading coach classroom and a faculty workroom in the new wing. In March, 2003, construction was completed on an additional wing. This building houses the technology labs, media center (library), counselor’s office, resource rooms, and additional classrooms. A new multipurpose building, in addition to renovations of the main building, was completed in August, 2004.
Hollinger's Island School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the State Department of Education.